I have arrived at the realization that I am no longer a sports fan of the professional nature. I still enjoy various sporting activities myself, and even watching some sports. I can still easily sit down and watch college football or basketball, any high school sporting event ( with the exception of girl's basketball) or go to a baseball game of any kind. There is something about going to a baseball park to watch a baseball game that will always appeal to me.
Basically professional sports have been slowly losing appeal to me over the years. At this point, I am quite certain that none exists. I cannot remember the last time I watched an entire professional basketball or football game. I think it has been at least 3 or 4 years. I think I caught a game or two of the baseball playoffs last year, but only because that is what the " house " was watching.
I have been trying to figure out why sports, specifically professional sports have ceased to interest me. I don't think I can pinpoint the reason if I had to pick one. However, I will make an attempt to explain it, as much to myself , if for no other reason. One issue, I think has to be the money. I find it impossible for me to relate to the emotion shown by players of professional sports. I am even further put out anytime there is any degree of whining or moping about a loss. I don't understand. I am supposed to watch this, and then somehow feel connected to what is going on enough to feel sorry for someone who makes 10 million dollars a year? It just seems too far-fetched and impossible. I just can't make myself care with regards to that.
I can't force myself to care who wins or loses a respective game. Perhaps this would be different if I had grown up with "a team" or something like that, and could associate that team with various times in my life, but we moved around a bit, and my dad never had " a team" but would only watch if a game was on and he didn't have any work to do, which was only a moderate amount of the time. I don't know, maybe not having "a team" makes it hard for me to care. I just can't understand why I should sit in front of a television for 3-4 hours watching a game, when I could care less who wins.
I guess that is last reason I can come up with is that I just flat out don't care who wins or who does what, or who gets the mvp, or scores "x" amount of points, or hits "x" amount of home runs. It doesn't matter to me, and doesn't change anything in my day to day life.
I don't know why amateur sports still hold so much appeal, I guess it is the whole purity thing, however, even amateur sports don't entertain me the way they once did. I can still enjoy watching a game with friends, but have found that I really enjoy hanging out with friends more than I care about the actual game.
I guess I could go on about all the other reasons that I just don't care about professional sports anymore. But I feel like they will all somehow be tied into the ones I have already given.
BSK
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My favorite sport to watch is regular season Major League Soccer games. There is nothing like spending 4 hours watching guys you've never heard of kick around a ball in front of a live audience of 50 or so fans in the stands. MLS...catch the fever!
I take that back, I love the WNBA. It's so empowering to see women get a chance to penetrate zones, shoot the j, and full court press.
This blog cannot and will not ever recognize the WNBA as a legitimate sport.
Post a Comment