Well,
I know it has been awhile since I posted, but I have been rather busy. I went to Oklahoma City couple weeks ago, and have spent 2 of the last 3 weekends turkey hunting to no avail, nonetheless, I had a good time. I enjoy everything about it, except for the getting up early in the morning.
For those of you wanting to know, Diesel is doing great. Although, we did have a problem at school the other day, because he keeps trying to use his cigarettes as currency with the other kids. This doesn't do a lot of good, since none of the other kids smoke, and furthermore, it appears to be against school policy. So, I guess that means no more prison movies or television shows for him, he is picking up bad habits from those.
I have also survived a couple of tornadoes since I last posted. I was lucky enough to sustain little to no damage, and my house was okay too.
So this is what has been bugging me lately, sadly, I am guilty of it too, but have made a concerted effort to stop this.....I am absolutely sick and tired of listening to people complain about the price of gas and the price of food. I understand the costs are going up, and that is unfortunate, but enough is enough. It is ridiculous that this is all anyone can talk about, and most of that talking is complaining. We are fortunate enough in America to historically have paid a very minimal amount of our income toward transportation and sustenance. The average american spends less than 10 percent of his or her income on food, compared to 1/3 in most other industrialized nations, specifically in Europe. We still currently, even at close to 4 dollars a gallon, spend much less on fuel than other consumers in other nations have been spending for years, not just recently.
We are slowly becoming a victim of our own success. People want to moan and complain about fuel and food prices, but they don't want to give up the luxuries that they have grown so accustomed to as a result of our extremely minimal cost of living over the last few decades. It is easier to complain of rising costs than it is to keep using that old cell phone or cut off the cable. People "have to have" a new cell phone or big screen tv or 100 HD channels. People "have to have" a new car or new clothes. And please, please for my sanity, don't complain of prices at the pump and then go in the same gas station and spend 1.29 on a 20 oz bottle of water.....you just paid almost 8 dollars a gallon for that bottle of water. People have developed the mindset that they are so entitled to these luxuries, that suggesting a decrease in spending on those items is almost an attmept to strip their civil rights. I just don't get it, I guess it is just something to talk about as much as anything. People just want to have something to complain about, so there it is.
People want to complain about all the money that oil companies are making. True, they are making boatloads of money. This is what happens in free market and capitalistic economy. I bet those same people have not been complaining of the low cost of living they have enjoyed for so many years as a result of the very same principles that allow oil companies to make so much money.
In closing, I am tired of listening to people complain about fuel and food prices, if it is becoming that much of a burden, perhaps it is time to re-evaluate what is a "necessity" when it comes to spending one's money. If only necessities are being purchased ( can't think of the last time I saw this happeneing anywhere) and it is still causing a bind, then perhaps some complaining can be allowed.
Music currently listening to - The Black Keys "Attack and Release" - fantastic album.
Craig
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment