Thursday, June 19, 2008

Comments Appreciated

I appreciate the comments about the sports posting. A couple of things in reply. Brandon, I did allow that Ping Pong was a sport, the crowds are not typically quiet for that. While tennis certainly takes great stamina, physical conditioning and athleticism, it is not a sport because the crowd has to be quiet. Doodle, the gallon challenge falls into the awesome category, kind of the opposite of cheerleading, which is boring. Neil, I like your argument. The problem is, you now have to develop a universally accepted definition of what athletic prowess is. It also allows anything where two people are competing to be a sport, such as hot dog eating, playing video games, fighting for the arm rest at the movie theater, looking for a parking space in a croweded parking lot just to name a few. That is fine, I just refuse to accept "gaming" as a sport. Also assuming that in some of those cases, the people engaged have the new universally accepted definition of what athletic prowess is. The spectators and their collective actions have to be accounted for, otherwise, I don't think this discussion would even be neccessary. I guess it depends on if you believe whether the tree that falls in the woods makes a sound or not. Mindi, you obviously didn't read the post if you have to ask that question.

Lastly, all I really care about is that no one tried to tell me how golf is a sport, which was the real point of the whole post.

1 comment:

BCHedge said...

No one tried to tell you that golf is a sport because Heath and Max dont read your blog.
I dont consider golf a sport, but I do consider it to be hard as hell, and Tiger is an athlete.
I will agree to disagree about tennis, I think it is sport, regardless of crowd noise, and am starting to think that if you are going to make and exception for Track, one should be made for Swimming races.