Friday, June 13, 2008

Mowing the grass and taking names

So yesterday I decided to mow the grass. It was getting a little unruly, and I am planning on leaving town this weekend, so I didn't want it to get out of hand over the weekend. I was afraid that my Wal-Mart mower would not be able to handle the grass if it grew much more. So I started to mow. I was mowing in the back yard when my neighbor that lives behind me approached me. So, I killed the mower and began talking with him. He apologized for being a bad neighbor and not introducing himself sooner, which of course was no problem.

He is 83 years old and a very enjoyable fellow. We spent 20 or so mintues talking about his wife, garden, his cancer, his stroke, his Japanese doctors who he "wasn't too sure about at first, because I lived in Japan". He also informed me that he would like to cut a branch out of my tree, because it was broken and he didn't want it to fall on my head when I was mowing, which I thought was nice. I examined the branch, and it was not broken, only a branch with a knot in it that makes it bend downward, however, I could tell he was very much excited about the prospect of this, so I gladly consented. Anyway, here is what struck me about the coversation....

I don't know what age this happens at, but at some point, it seems that you have to end all sentences with "see", because this is what he kept doing, and this is not limited to just him. I have encountered countless old people who like to end their sentence with "see".

" My neighbor wanted me to help him plow his garden, he is 86....see"
" I had a stroke about 4 years ago, and my brain was screwed up, so my strength was gone too, did you know that?, if your brain is screwed up you don't have any strength.....see"
" My wife told me I better come and meet you before I cut that tree limb down...see"
" The guy that used to live in this house was a full blooded indian...he was from Oklahoma....see"
" I tried to go and visit him once, but I got lost...see....I wil have to go back and try to find his house."
" When I had my stroke, I would get lost real easylike see, I had to stay at home for 7 or 8 months because if I left, I would get lost and couldn't get back home .....see"
" If I was 75, and felt as good as I do now, I would go and put me in an application at Wal-Mart down there see, and look at me, I am going good nowadays, but if I felt like that when I was 75, I would go down there and get a job and put those things on the shelf see.....I am real strong now since I started taking flax seed oil....see...that is how they treat cancer in Canada see."
" I am not going to get another job, because I want to live a long time, so I just work around here see."

The last comment was followed by him putting his wheelbarrow under my tree and standing in it, as it wobbled to beat the band while he cut that limb down. I was on my way to stabilize it for him when I turned around and saw him in that very precarious position, but apparently not as precarious as stocking shelves at Wal-Mart, but he was already done...and looked very satisfied for it.....C

No comments: