Thursday, June 05, 2008

Shopping for groceries

I usually go to the grocery store 2 times a month, because I hate going so I try to buy enough to last me at least two weeks, which always results in me over -buying pretty regularly. I recently read somewhere, that the average American throws away $600 worth of food each year. When you think about it, that is A LOT of food, even with the current prices...for myself, that is roughly 4-6 months of food. I know I don't throw away near that much, because I only spend a little more than twice that for groceries for the whole year, but I do throw away some. You know how it is, you just let food sit until it spoils, because you just don't really want to eat it. Or you just keep collecting canned goods and boxed food and the old gets pushed to the back and keeps multiplying.

In light of this, about two months ago, I decided to try to cease and desist on my throwing away food, both for the money reason, and because it doesn't seem right, almost criminal, to throw away food while people are starving, even here in America; simply because I let something spoil because it doesn't sound appetizing, or because I buy too much at the store and the old gets pushed back to the back of the shelf. I have made a concerted effort to have all perishables consumed, and many of my canned goods and boxes of food eaten before I go back to the store for more. This had led to some interesting and delicious foods, and some not so much so.

This has also allowed me to not accumulate comestibles at a rate beyond which they can be consumed. It also keeps me from buying too much of the same thing, because I know I will have to try and eat all of it.

1 comment:

BCHedge said...

CodyMoore Syndrome?